A full CV is downloadable here
- Full Professor of Economic & Social History, Department of History, University of Groningen
- Senior Research Associate Global Data Lab - https://globaldatalab.org/contact/; Radboud University Nijmegen
- Chair Nominating Committee of the Social Science History Association (2020-2021)
- Member of the Social Sciences Council (Sociaal-Wetenschappelijke Raad (SWR)) of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (as of January 2017) (20 selected members)
- MC Substitute COST Action "Women on the Move" (WEMov) CA19112; WG4: Family, kinship and community networks
- Member of the Board of the Historical Sample of the Netherlands
- Editorial board member Low Countries Journal of Social and Economic History (TSEG)
- Member of the Executive Committee of the Social Science History Association (2016-2019)
- Member of the Young Academy of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (March 2012-April 2017) (50 selected members).
- Professor of Sociology of Consumption and Households, Department of Social Sciences, Wageningen University, January 2014-December 2018
- Editor-in-Chief of The History of the Family. An International Quarterly (Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group), January 2012-January 2017
- Associate Professor of Economic, Social and Demographic History, Dept. of History, Radboud University Nijmegen, February 2011-2014.
- Associate Professor, Department of Social Research Methodology, VU University, November 2010-February 2011.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Social Research Methodology, VU University, 2006 to November 2010.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Social Cultural Sciences/Societal Issues & Policy, VU University, 2000-2006.
- PhD, Dept. of Sociology, Faculty of Social Sciences, Utrecht University and ICS, 1995-2000.
- PhD, Sociology, University of Utrecht/ICS, 2002. Dissertation: Zeeland maids. Domestic service in the life course of women, 1850-1950. Amsterdam: Aksant. Promotores: Prof. H.B.G. Ganzeboom and Prof. J.M.W.G. Lucassen.
- Historical Information Processing (Postdoctoral), Leiden University, 1995.
- American Studies – Liberal Arts (Cum Laude), Groningen University, 1993.
- English Language and Literature (first year), Groningen University, 1989.
- Freshman Year Liberal Arts, Meredith College, Raleigh, North Carolina, USA, 1988.
Grants, honors & awards
- Edema-Steernberg Program Grant, ‘Ten2Twenty: Convergence and Trade-offs of nutritional, social and economic pathways during adolescence among girls in low and middle income countries’, October 2016, €300.000 (1 PhD and research costs for 2nd PhD)
- A4NH Flagship Food Systems for Healthier Diets, October 2016, €30.000 (sandwich PhD).
Sustainable Food Systems for Healthy People, Wageningen Investment Theme grant, June 2016, €1.500.
- INREF seed money grant, ‘Ten2Twenty: Nutritional, social and economic pathways for optimized adolescent nutrition for life course health and development in changing food systems September 2015, €25.000.
- INREF seed money grant, ‘Gold mining, pollution management and capacity building for sustainable livelihoods (GOMALIVE)’ September 2015, €24.900.
- Research Grant, Faculty of Arts, Radboud University Nijmegen, for the data-entry of Folklore Questionnaires nr. 41 (1971) on courtship practices and nr. 7 (1941) on practices around childbearing (Volkskundevragenlijsten, Meertens Instituut), € 10.000 (October 2012).
- Aspasia Grant (April 2011), €100.000.
- Laureate VIDI Innovational Research Grant, Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research (MAGW), 'The Power of the Family. Family Influences on Long-Term Fertility Decline in Europe, 1850-2010', € 800.000, 2011-2016.
- Primary Investigator NWO Medium Investment Grant, Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research (GW), "Linking Historical Lives (Linked Lives): A Database with Life Courses of Brothers and Sisters, 1850-2010", € 462.000, 2010-2013.
- Research Award (2010) of the Faculty of Social Sciences, VU University Amsterdam (January 2011), € 1.500.
- Laureate VENI Innovational Research Grant, Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research (GW), 'Siblings and the Life Course. Mutual Relations, Diversity and Interdependence in the Life Courses of Brothers and Sisters in the Netherlands', (project number 275-53-001), 2003, € 200.000, 2004-2008.
- Fellowship for Meredith College comprising full tuition (Fulbright Program), 4350 US dollar, 1987-1988.
- Raleigh Rotary Club Award for special academic programs, 600 US dollar, 1987-1988.